Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadcast message

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
Running a 2003 AD domain with XP clients. I'm looking for a way to send broadcast messages to all or selected workstations. Ideally we would run without client software (I especially do not want to force Microsoft Messenger or other chat program to run active on every machine.)

I know the Windows Messenger service is disabled by default for XP-SP2 and later. We are behind a corporate firewall so I'm thinking enabling the messenger service via GP should be reasonably safe. Assuming I went this route:
1. Does anyone know a good GUI front end to "net send"? (The one in Computer Management doesn't seem to be able to send to the entire domain without having to add every PC individually.)
2. Is the a GP setting to restrict who can send?

Also, what other ways might there be to go about this?

_____
Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Additionally I believe there's a good Growl port called Snarl available for Windows.

Not entirely sure if it's 100% compatible with Growl or that though. Growl is great for getting messages to multiple workstations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back