Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadband Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

acebaby

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
US
Have cable broadband modem (charter/Abit)with router for 2 computers e-machine w/vista and I-mac .I can't connect to internet with both computers at the same time only one at a time.I can connect to 1 computer after reboot of modem both will connect but not at the same time,says can't find server.Is this Charter or Vista,software problem. Have used 2 routers Linksys and generic both have same results.

Chances are that modem will only hand out 1 IP address. Cable co's are (in)famous for that.

If you could explain your topology we can probably find a way around that.

--
The stagehand's axiom: "Never lift what you can drag, never drag what you can roll, never roll what you can leave.

Talked to charter and said up to five computers.Did work at one time on both then boom.Using P.C for internet and Mac has an ip address just can't connect.

acebaby,

Sounds like you are only getting 1 "good" IP address - to check just turn both computers on and check what IP address they have, what gateway they have etc. write it all down.

Then turn them on by themselves and see what IP address they get - write it down making sure that both connect to the internet when other one is off.

Then turn them both on again at same time and check the address information - take that information to Charter (your ISP) and ask them what the trouble is if they say that you can connect up to 5 computers!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back