Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadband implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

summerhill

Technical User
Mar 18, 2002
GB
Okay, here goes another really longwinded question from me to one of you CNE / MCNE GURU's out there. First a little background.

1. I am currently 1/2 way through my NW5 CNE Certitication exams so I am trying to intergrate NW5 as much as possible into everything I do on my home network.

2. Currently I have one NW5 server attached to one WIN98 client, it's working great, originally I wanted to attach one HP Deskjet 832 printer to this network using NDPS. I was not successful. I don't think the printer was network aware, also alot of you told me that it was a better idea to get an HP Jet direct print server an use it to connect my printer to the network using an HP Gateway. I have purchased the print server and I am now just waiting for my new HP 990cse Network aware printer to show up. Now that I have given you that tid-bit of info, I have a much larger but related question that I need some help with.

In addition to the WIN98 Worksation and printer, I want to add another computer (a WINME workstation) to this network. I currently use this computer as a stand alone and it is used to for my internet access. Within the next few weeks I plan to start using a broadband connection on this computer but I still want to tie it into my NW5 network, can I? One of the main reasons that I want to do this is because I want to use my new printer for both worksations, and also to move most of my data from both workstations to the server.

My NW5 Server and WIN98 workstation currently communicate with each other through static non registered IP addresses. If I add the WINME computer to this network and it is utilizing broadband to access the internet, will my server's non registered IP address be visable by users outside my lan on the internet? If so, if I install a firewall on the WINME machine (which I am planning to do anyway) will that resolve this problem? If this is a workable solution, how will it impact my WINME computers ability to communicate with my NW5 Server and printer.

Or should I consider moving my internet connection directly to my NW5 Server and have my workstations attach to the internet through it? I'm not sure that my ISP would know how to set up broadband services on a NW5 Server though.

Thank you for bearing with me through this longwinded question, any assistance is appreciated. It's true I still have alot to learn.

Thanks, Mike

Sounds like you need a router. Your broadband will connect to the router which can be configured to use NAT. This will then only use your public IP address on the internet. The 3 machines for your local LAN will connect to each other via a hub or ports integrated with your router. They will keep there unregistered IP addresses. Set the default route on each machine to be the LAN port on your router. This will allow all the machines to communicate with the internet but with only a single public address.

This is an IP config more than a netware.

You may have to get advise of which router can be used from your ISP. Lee Smith
Associated Network Services
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

Lee,

Thanks for you're advice, like I said I still have alot to learn. I bought an SMC DSL Modem/Router, that I am going to run through my hub to the server and workstations as you suggested.

Thanks,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back