Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BroadBand FOR MACINTOSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCBastos

Technical User
Jun 18, 2000
US
Visit site
MACAU CTM is the only phone provider in Macau they have the monopoly until 2001.

Just recently they launched their new service of Broad band for internet users it happens so that they cannot provide this service for Macintosh Users they say tha they didnt wrote a software compatibel with Mac, and therefore there is no driver for Mac system.

Is anyway I can go around this problem or must I throw away all my Macs and By PCs?

Anybody please:(

Is that DSL? If so, you should be able to just connect
your ethernet port to their DSL box, set the tcp/ip
control panel for dhcp and go for it. No 'drivers' needed.

works the same way with a Cable modem. (I'm a PC User, but the principle is still the same, since thats exactly what you do with windoze and linux, and it works)

Excuse me my inexperience what does DSL stands for?

The CTM company says they need to have a LAN card instaslled so they connect to the ADS telephone line. The thing is they dont have the Lan Card for Mac machinnery and consequentively they dont have the apropriated driver.

Also they supply a a broadband modem from CISCO 677 that hey will connect to my LAN card.

So what i need is a Model reference for a LAN card for my blue G3 and the respective driver that should be some kind of PPPoe? driver or software?

Any suggestions

Digital Subscriber Line.

the two major consummer broadband connections that exist in the US today are DSL and Cable (of course these would be the two major competitors, your telephone company and your cable company)

Both have their ups and downs, I use Cable , because like their founding companies, they treat their products the same way.

I typically find the telephone company charges low on the monthly rate, but makes you pay 200$ for modem, 100$ for setup fee, and a lot of other little bitty cost, where as the cable company charges you a little higher (about 10$ more a month) but give you the modem and ethernet card free of us, and only charge 50$ for setup if you chose to set it up yourself.

DSL uses frequencies on the line instead of tones, which is why it's possible to be on the phone and internet at the same time, the modem reconizes what it needs, and your phone just receives what audible.

Cable is pretty simple, it's digital, just sends back forth back forth, they say it would be a little less secure, depends on the company, my RoadRunner one is pretty secure for outgoing traffic.

DSL is dedicated to you on your single line, problem though is, the speed you pay for is the speed you get, no higher, no less, with cable, depending on your neighborhood usage, I find myself being able to download upto 1.5MegaBits if it's not busy, and sometimes much slower on a busy day (good thing my node isnt always busy) so its really good for the price for me.

Just thought you'd be interested to know.

ADSL = Asynchronous DSL (it's more dedicated to downloads than uploads)
thats the most common DSL service you'll get
SDSL will give you same speed, both up and down
they is RDSL, and LDSL, which are less common for consummers.

Thank you Karl

Obviously my city only has one service and it is adsl, therefore Ill have to stick to it.

Now! how do I make my make use a LAN card (is there one for Mac? What model?) and is there a software I can use with such a card and is it going to be compatible with my local provider?

I really appreciate your help and if you dont feel like explain to much could I look for this ino anywhere in the Net.

Thk NCB

if you are using an External modem that requires connection with a LAN/Ethernet card, you dont need drivers, only drivers you'll need are the ones to get your Ethernet card to work, but basically you just have the Ethnet card look for a DHCP on the modem, and you should get an IP automatically, further information should be asked to your DSL/Internet provider.

I have just installed a Cisco 677 using an ethernet crossover cable. In the TCP/IP control panel there is a "Use 802.3" check box. Should this be checked? According to the manual for the 677, it is "compliant" with 802.3. [sig][/sig]

Check with the company if you can just buy a friggin Ethernet card. They got em at compusa and bestbuy and even target or walmart. They sell em online too. I'm no mac user, but this is what I'd do. It may end up cheaper in the long run (maybe). [sig][/sig]

If they use pppoe (ppp over ethernet) get a Linksys
dsl/cable router/hub for USD179. It speaks pppoe
AND lets up to 4 computers share the connection.
They also make a single port unit for USD109.
These routers can be set up to auto-connect upon
any of the connected computers requesting a tcp
connection. Available from most major suppliers.
The model# for the single port unit is BEFSR11.
The three I have bought for myself and clients
came from CDW (
HTH, Emory
[sig][/sig]

The LAN they're talking about must be EtherNet, which is built into all newer Macs. The first response to this thread got it right. Plug in an Ethernet cross-over cable, and set your TCP/IP control panel to DHCP.
You'll just need to get used to how simple the Mac is.

Yeah you are right Mac is simple but you have to know.

Now Ichoose DHCP in the TC/IP control panel and what to I do with - Modem script ? Remote Access? PPP?

Because what happens is that even I do all those setups I still get a 56K connection that immediatly fails since it can recognise my Identity since Im using another account for Broadband.

What is working for me is something called Enternet but I only get about 200K per second.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back