Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Broadband cutting off when using phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have had a 512 broadband connection for about 10 months. Over the last 3 months, when I use the phone the broadband connection cuts off.
Also sometimes the connection is not there so the green light flashes on the modem. This clears when I pick up the phone hear the dialing tone and put it down again, I then get the solid green.
I have 2 micro filters and have replaced both. One filter is in the main socket with phone/modem connection. The modem connection goes via a 10 meter extender from the filter to and extension box which the modem plugs into via a second Micro filter. I have tried plugging the modem straight into the extention box but I do not get a signal at all which is why I am using the second filter in this way.
I contacted my supplier who could find no fault with the line.

The modem is a Speedtouch 330. PC is built on a xp2600 barton running XP pro sp2.

Thanks in advance

John

That config is a bit confusing. The modem should be plugged into its own jack. NO FILTER! Sometimes a splitter will work, sometimes it won't. If you don't do this, it will never work right.

Any other devices plugged into this same line, should have filters installed.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back