Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

broadband connection speed via router!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz6215

Vendor
Sep 28, 2005
GB
hi hope someone can help, what i would like to know is i am currently on a 2 meg broadband connection and i am thinking of purchasing a wireless router at 125mbps and would like to know weather or not this will slow my connection speed down or not???

First of all, the "2 meg" connection you're talking about is megabits per second (mbps). So a 125mbps connection has 123mbps to spare!

Second, don't buy into all the hype of superfast wireless routers. If it uses 'G' technology it's limited to 54mbps, but they try to tweak other things like compression and using a wide spectrum in the 2.4GHz range to make it "seem" faster. It might max out around 70-80mbps if you're lucky, but will likely average 20-30mbps.

Wireless is fine for internet browsing and downloading, since your broadband connection is much slower than wireless. But when it comes to transferring files from PC to PC or remote controlling devices on your home network, ethernet will be much faster and more reliable (though it's a pain to wire your whole house). If you don't care about all that, then wireless is the way to go.

And finally, more than 2 or 3 PC's sharing one wireless access point will start to take its toll on your bandwidth. So take that into account too.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back