Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bringing in a flat file or can I use hotfile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terris

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2002
US
I have a group of reports associated with a database through a catalog. I require information from a flat file. Thought I could use hotfile, renamed the file to end in .ims, file is not showing on the browse list.
How can I make a flat file accessable to my catalog. This is a CSV delimited file - nothing special
Thanks
Terri

A hotfile is the right direction. You must select the drop-down in the datasource list for the catalog, then select your hotfile from there.

Pain is stress leaving the body.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Terris,

The steps are:
1) Manipulate the data so that you can create an Impromptu catalog that can read it. The options for a CSV file are: Use the MS Text ODBC driver, Import the file into Excel and use the MS Excel ODBC driver, or from within Excel, save the data into dBase format and use the dBase support within Impromptu.

2) Create an Impromptu catalog using the above data source.

3) Create a basic report that reads all the data, and save the resulting report as a hotfile (.ims extension).

4) Add the hotfile to your primary catalog

5) Link to hotfile data to your primary data using join connections.

That should do it.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

OK I'll try to explain a bit more, I'm beginning to think that Cognos and flat files don't work together.
File is created by an etl process, resides on the same unix box that my DB2 database lives on. Need to pull the first 20 or so rows for review prior to sending the file off to a second party. User -of course- wants to see the actually file. Have a catalog setup for the database, using to generate summary reports. Is there anyway I can pull this file in and print out rows of data. Not created through cognos! tried faking it out and overwriting a .ims file created by cognos, added it to my tables but have no idea how to add into a report. Folder does not show up on query screen, hotfile does not show when I select hotfile on query screen and go to the directory where it lives.

Terris,

I think you are confused about the nature of the hotfile. It is NOT a simple flat ascii file with a .ims extension. It is a special file format that is created only by Impromptu. You cannot 'fake it out' and expect that Impromptu will recognize your flat file by simply changing the extension. This is why I detailed the steps to get the real data in your ascii file into a catalog and then into a true hotfile.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back