Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brightstor question for gurus only: boot kit wizard fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

myroot

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2003
ES
Hi folks:

i have a problem with Brightstor v9 for windows

1 My hard config is: see my previous question "how to boot
from tape.
2 Got windows 2000 server installed
3 Installed Brightstor v 9 for windows, with options;
open files, backup program, diagnostic util and of course
recovery option.

Everything works fine, BUT the when starting the boot kit
wizard and trying to create (2 options, i tried):
recovery option with floppies or with a machine specific floppy and bootable cd (with the folder i386 from the windows 2000 server cd), in either case the boot kit wizard says that you HAVE INSTALLED WINDOWS NT installed and the boot cd only works with under windows 2000 or creating
just the boot floppies, windows 2000 option is grayed out and only windows nt is available !!! so no windows 2000 avaivable ??? imposible !!

i have tried everything: installed the windows sp 3 before and after the brightstor install, reinstalled windows 2000 (fresh install), installed brightstor etc.. no luck !!

please help!!!

thanks.

Can you please check X:\ARCServe\DR\XYZ , where XYZ is the folder for DRmachine.
In this folder if you have arcbkup.w2k file. If not, then the reason for this file not be there is that you are missing a sucessfull Full backup for the server.. the *.w2k file indicates that this server is Win2000 so if it doesn't exist then it will ask for NT 4
Delete the XYZ directory and re-run a full backup ensuring that you have a Full Green box on the Source Screen in the backup Windows for the server and use a filter to exlude DHCP and TMP files.
If you are backing up a remote server ensure that you are backing up through the client agent and use name resolution instead of IP address.
Hope this helps

Hi,

Well i searched for the arcbkup.w2k file.
it is not there !!
In CA folder, there is a folder called DRfiles.. what is this? I cannot find DR
anyway i am going to make a full backup.

keep you informed

thanks

xenotec,

sorry, found the directory.. i deleted it
and now i am going to make full backup

sorry
keep u informed

Thanks Xenotec:

deleted the ca\servname folder.
made a full backup and now the boot kit wizard sees windows 2000.... now i can make a machine spec. floppy

Maybe u know the answer of the other question i placed
about "brightstor does not see contents of tape"
(i made with powerquest a image of C: backedup D: with Brightstor v9.. powered off the machine, started with a bootable cd with powerquest drive image 2002 and on the new disk (seperate disk - no hardware or software raid - i copied the image i made with powerquest drive image 2002 to the second disk windows nt 4 starts up fine with Brightstor v9 already installed, using restore d: , on tape, but Brightstore does not see the contents of the tape,
in other words: i click the box next to the server name the but it does not work - it does not respond to the mouse click nor keyboard.

please

ciao

ciao.

Sounds like you need to merge the tape into the database.
If you want to restore D:\ and you know the session number - Use Restore by backup media and select session ???

Right again, xenotec.

you guy(s) rock.

thanx and happy summer holidays

myroot - mcse 2k - db2
madrid, spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back