Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BrightStor ARCserver Backup 11.5 and network computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

icodeit

Programmer
Dec 21, 2007
US
I installed BrightStor ARCserver Backup 11.5 on one of the servers on our domain. Everything installed fine but when I go to setup a backup I cannot see the network or any of the other computers on the network.

What do I need to do in order to see the other network computers?

Thank you

Anybody have any ideas? Or know where else I should look to find an answer?

Make sure that the server istself can see then network. Try accessing another computer on your domain via unc or through My Network Places. This sounds more like a network connectivity issue

The server can see the network fine. I can use "My Network Places" and see the domain and all of the desktops and servers on the domain.

I can connect to the server from another server as well.

Is there some setting I need to setup when installing BrightStor? Where exactly in BrightStor should I see all of the computers on the domain?

You should see the computers two ways, both within the Backup Manager. If you have agents installed on any of your client machines you can go to the Source Tab of the Backup Manager. Under Windows Systems, right click and select Add Machine/Object.... and enter the ip address of the client pc. If you do not have any agents installed on your mahcines, then in the same backup manager Source tab, expand the Network heading, there you should be able to see your network
The agents are not required for you to see the network or backup any data, so you shouldnt have a problem seeing and connecting to your network without any additional setup.

I went to the Source Tab and I see the following in the tree structure (dashes indicate a new sub node):

Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Systems
- Server (DBDEV)
- Local Disk (C:\)
- System State

There are additional nodes under "Local Disk" and "System State". DBDEV is the server I have BrightStor installed on.

No other computers or domains are shown in the tree. I tried right clicking on all of the nodes but there is no menu which says anything about adding a machine or object.

Ony my source tab I See "Windows Systems" and a list of my servers below that. I dont have a "Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Systems" but I think we are still in the same place. If you highlight "Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Systems" (not the DBDEV server itself but rather the heading) do you get the Add Machine context menu? If not do you get any menu?
Also, there should be another heading for network so it should look something like this:

Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Systems
- Server (DBDEV)
- Local Disk (C:\)
- System State

Network
- Microsoft Windows Network

You may also see another heading:

Preferred Shares/Machines

I highlighted "Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Systems" but there is no context menu. I tried clicking on it and right clicking but nothing. I looked over in the windows to the right and there was nothing about adding a machine either.

There is no "Network" or "Preferred Shares/Machines" root nodes either. Just the "Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Systems".

Sorry, but I have no idea why you're only seeing this. I did find this although I think its a long shot:
Also, what options do you have installed. Dont know if thats it either, but mine works with the following options installed (can be found by going to Help -> About Brightstor Arcserve Backup and clicking on the License... button:

BAB r11.5 Agents for Open Files for Windows
BAB r11.5 Client Agent for Windows Servers
BAB r11.5 for Windows

I'm not sure if any of these makes a difference, but it might be worth a look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back