Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brightstor ARCServe SAN option with multiple tape libraries

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwdCouncil

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
AU
Help please, we are looking at Purchasing a new Tape library. It is a HP 6030 model and we have a EVA4000 SAN that the new servers (about 5 servers) are attached to. We already have Arcserve version 11 on an existing server with a Storagetek tape Library and a Hitachi SAN with about 5 servers attached.

Anyone know with Arcserve using a Primary server to manage the backups how can we have 2 SANS and 2 tape libraries on the same network in a single domain environment. Can we install ARCserve on the new backup server with the SAN option and how will it not get confused with the existing SAN option agent on all the other servers. I thought you could only have one Primary server. We will be upgrading to version 11.5 SP3 so we can backup a new Exchange 2007 server. Any help appreciated as this is urgent

It should work fine to setup the one server as the Primary for both libraries.

how do you do that when they are different Tape library models and use different interfaces. With Arcserve would we have to zone the new library in the same zone on the Hitachi SAN management software as well as on the new HP EVA software. With arcserve the tape library needs to be zoned in the same zone as the SAN to be able to see the drives in the device window. Also how would a backup know which library to go to. I have a 40 slot library and I assign media pools of 5-6 slots each which I use for different server backups to save confusion.
thanks

ARCserve has been programed to identify different libraries and tape drives via their serial number as well as if it is SAN or direct attached. In Device Group Configuration it will show both libraries and their slots letting you configure the device groups as you like. Then when setting up the backup just select the specific group you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back