Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brightstor ARCServe 9 and Exchange Agent 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPCPB

Technical User
May 6, 2003
GB
Greetings,

Originally a customer had ARCServe Backup 9.01 on Windows 2000 with Exchange Agent. (Certificate Services is also installed).

On Thursday, they upgraded to 9.02 SP4a from CA's Support page.

Since then, they are unable to expand the Restored view to show individual mailboxes - they were able to do this without any problems with 9.01.

This means that if they want to restore a single mailbox, they'll have to restore the whole folder, at least - but don't want to risk this since they're not sure whether it's backed up the mailboxes or not.

The error message they are getting is:

E8608 Failed to enumerate databases. (AGENT=dbaexchsrs, EC=EMAIL: Backup Agent Error -- (1355) "Exchange Server Error. HrESEBackupPrepare failed. Check Backup Agent Activity log".)

Does anyone have a solution to this or at least some idea of why this is occurring? (The CA Open Forums have similar questions but no-one has any solutions as yet.)

Thank you in advance!

Kindest regards,

James

I had the same problem. I ended up reinstalling the exchange client from the base product and then the 9.01 patch. All has been well since then.

So you stayed away from 9.02 all together?

To be honest I do not see a 9.02 update on CA's support page. QO36927 is 9.01; QO44844 in Patch 4A to 9.01.

From my observations, the Exchange Agent is not upgraded in any patch beyond 9.01.

I still have to reload the Agent using 9.01 (restarting the service is not enough) about weekly when a brick fails. Bricks are still very slow.

We're also having big problems with AS9 backing up Exchange2003 with the agent. It runs brilliantly one day at bout 280MB a minute. The next day it drops to 8MB a minute! Is a regular re-install the only solution?

I have the same problem w/ Brightstore 11.0. My brick level backup goes off without a hitch but I get the same E8608 problem when I try to backup the IS. I've done a reinstall of both the Brightstore server and Exchange agent with no luck. Hopefully someone can help find the solution.

I once attempted to live with Arcserve Exchange agents and gave up. Could not take the issues or poor performance any more.

This is what I do and I now suggest it to every Exchange Admin I know.

Just dump the whole DB to disk using the Exchange Version of NTBackup, back it up to tape as needed with your backup suite of choice, when you need mailbox level restores, open the exchange backup file (restore from tape if needed) with Ontrack Power Controls (see link below) and you will be amazed at how easy you can bring back e-mail at a "brick level". Well worth the $$$ if you have more then just a few users.

They should pay me a commision.

Greetings,

Apologies for not getting back to all those who replied!

wjlight
Thanks for your reply/solution - we'd already done this with success.

As you pointed out in your reply to MattOP, there wasn't a "9.02 SP4a" update - this was a typo on my part; this should have been 9.01 SP4a.

The CA Forums still don't have any solutions to this E8608 error message - nor can I find anything on the web except for a Korean CA page!

Thanks for your replies!

Kindest regards,

James

Greetings,

Typical - the moment you post, someone contacts you with more info...!

Just had a update from a colleague who suggested the following as a fix which worked for them:

"If the following registry value is 1, set it to 0:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\Cheetah\DSAgent\CurrentVersion\agent\<agent>\UseTCP

Or

HKLM\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\BrightStor Arcserve Backup\Dsagent\CurrentVerSion\agent\dbaexch

On the right hand side check the value of UseTcp, if its set to 1 make it to 0 and then recycle the services."

I can't guarantee that this is correct - use at own risk!!

Kindest regards,

James

Hey all,

I finally broke down and called CA on this one. After a few hours they sent me a new .dll file that fixed this particular problem for me. I'd be happy to share with anyone who needs it.

thanks

I'm now on 11 - which version is this fabled dll for? You could be my best friend!

I am also on 11. The exact file is asbackup.dll. The version they sent me is 11.0.1500.0 - I'm not sure what my old version was.

Just remembered I saved the old DLL, it was version 11.0.2670.19. Replacing this with the above solved the problem.

Could you send me the .dll as well. Emailsupport@valleymed.org. Thanks.

Kris

Could you send me the .dll as well. klaus-dieter.rassloff@vivantes.de Thanks

Hi mjquinn811. Can you send me the dll also .. clpierre@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Anyone know how to uninstall just Alert Manager. I have an etrust7.1 Admin server that does reboots randomly and I know it was caused by Alert Manager. I really don't want to unistall all of etrust.

EC=1355 is typically a windows error message.

if you check the "net helpmsg 1355" - you will get the following output.

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

SO it looks likes something to do with security. To verify further you can do the following:

(1) Enable debug for the exchange agent on the exchange server - HKLM\Software\CA\BAB\DSAgent\CV\Agent\dbaexch - debug ( 1-3) and try running the backup. THe output will be in a file called dbaexch*.trc.

See where it gives an error in it. You will typically see a MAPI Call going out to exchange with the user account and then exchange lets you authenticate and then lets you enumerate the files for backup. Looks like this is erroring out at this exact point.

if you are curious check this out:

and the return code by the looks of it is 1355, which is a windows return code.

net helpmsg 1355

So interpret this further and in proper context the output from the trace will lead you.

Create a brand new job and ensure that the right security is used on

Backup Manager - source - RIght click on the exchange server - domain\user

this user should have all the right privileges .

I solve my problem with Arcserve Backup 11.0. Was getting that E8610 Error: Failed to get database information. When I looked at the exchg log on the exchange server it say that HrESEBackupPrepare failed.

I am part of a WAN. We had Exchange 5.5 and upgrade to 2003. I had to keep 5.5 becuase some site were still running 5.5. finally we decommation 5.5. That's when the error started. One of my corporate techies told me that I was backing up the Microsoft Exchange Server - Database Level (ISR) and that was not longer needed since I didnt have 5.5. I removed that from my backup and the error went away.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back