Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BrightStor & TSM - HSM integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

n018737

Technical User
Mar 29, 2006
ES
We are usin BrightStor 11.1 to backup Windows & Linux server, now we want to install HSM (Tivoli Storage Manager) to migrate old files to second storage.

Can I configure BrightStor Agent to ignore merged files (namde stuff files by TSM)?

Can I configure HSM to not restore migrated files when backup access to them?

ARCserve will just backup the pointer (known as the stub file) - it will (or should not) force the de-migration of the migrated files in order to back them up.

Hi n0180737,

Is your TSM installed in a dedicated TSM server ?

Is your TSM server suppose to migrate files from a Windows server that is also a BrightStor ARCserve r11.1 Client Agent ? If your answer is yes, then the ARCserve Client must be co-existing with the TSM Client. Is that correct ?

Have your observed any issue with the co-existence of both TSM Client and BABr11.1 Client in the same server ?

Is your TSM installed in a dedicated TSM server ?

Yes.

Is your TSM server suppose to migrate files from a Windows server that is also a BrightStor ARCserve r11.1 Client Agent ? If your answer is yes, then the ARCserve Client must be co-existing with the TSM Client. Is that correct ?

Yes. Our file server is a Windows 2000 with BrightStor Client Agent. In this server we want to instal TSM client and migrate old files located into users folders.

Have your observed any issue with the co-existence of both TSM Client and BABr11.1 Client in the same server ?

By the moment the server don't have TSM client.

Can BrightStor Client Agent backup only the "stub files" and hold the files migrated on the other storage group (SATA Disk's)?

BrightStor should be able to backup only the 'stud files'.

But what do you mean by "hold the files migrated on the other storage group (SATA Disk's)?"

I have past experience of using Veritas Storage Migrator to migrate image files from a Windows MOBIUS server. After migration, the image file were moved to tape, leaving only a very small size stud. The Veritas NetBackup Master server then backups everything in the MOBIUS server. Only the stud were backup in this case. The actual image file was not included in the backup as it was previously migrated to tape.

For the BrightStor - TSM combination, I believe it should work on the same basis. Do let me know if this is not true.

BrighStor & TSM Client combination work very well. BrightStor detect "stub files" and don't recall this files from Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back