Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brightstor 11 theoretical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

uros667

IS-IT--Management
Jun 16, 2010
RS
Hello all,

I am building some kind of complete disaster recovery mechanism and I want to see if someone has tried something similar to scenario written below:

Imagine that for some reason all of your servers, backup devices and associated things perish in a fire/flood/some other unspeakable horror. All you have left is a single tape with complete backup of all your servers. My question is whether the following recovery scenario is possible:
1. Obtain same kind of tape device that was used for backup
2. Install same version of brightstor as one used to make backups on a new server (different hardware from server used to make backups)
3. Import media that survived and merge it into new database. This is the critical bit, as I have never tried this before, nor did I find a post anywhere from someone who did.
4. Restore data (not system state(s) and such) as needed.

Assume that DR option is not available. Main issue here is to get data back, as all servers can be reinstalled, and domain(s) would probably have to be rebuilt anyway.
Main question is whether data restore is possible in described manner, and also what would be needed for it to be possible?

Thanks a lot in advance, since I'm quite new to brightstor.
Uros

depending upon the specifics usually it is fine to use the same or later version of the tape drive and ARCserve, and it is not necessary to have the "same" version as used for the backup.

3. In this case a full volume is going to be restored.
A Merge puts all the details into the database so that a selective restore can be done.

However since the full session will be restored all that is needed is a Scan to identify the sessions on the tape.

Beyond that it all depends upon the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back