Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bridging two engenius enh202

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2013
US
I have two enh202's and am trying to configure them so I can get wifi from my house to my workshed about 1/4 mile away. I have tried wds and plain bridge and can get the two to see each other but cannot get my remote computer to connect to the internet.

I would appreciate it if someone could give me some detailed info on how to set each of the devices. I just need simple internet service from my work area and possibly wireless at the shed. If it all works then I may add security later but right now I want to get it working.
The one on the house is using FW 1.5.0 and the one on the shed is using FW 1.3.5

Thanks

Ken

Forget WDS, you don't need it. The one connected to the router should be set to client bridge, and the one in the workshed is set to AP mode. How is the IP configured at the 2 ENH202 and also the router LAN? What are the LED's displaying on each unit? How is ip configured on pc2 (remote)? Also, I didn't see FW 1.5.0 at the support website, where did that come from? Is the one at the house a different model or revision?

Thanks,
If what you said doesn't work I'll get the other details when I try again. One thing i did note was that I had the set ups reversed. The shed was set to bridge and the one in the house with the router was set to ap.
The differences in the firmware have been a minor question for me too. The one with 1.5.0 came that way when I bought it new two months ago from B&H electronics. The 1.3.5 is what I downloaded from Engenius and put in the second enh202 which I had bought used.

It may be a day or so before I get to try again but thanks for your help.

Ken

Thanks a lot for the help.
I did as you suggested but couldn't get it to work and finally set the shed computer to allow DHCP to provide an address instead of forcing a fixed IP and everything went to working. I kept using the fixed ip to get in and out of programming the ap.

Thanks Again

Ken

Things are still working but I have another question. The AP at the shed is working both wired and wireless but I need to secure the wireless aspect. By-the-way I did get another 202 and both now have the same 1.5.0 firmware.
The 202 I have at the house set to client bridge give me the option for wireless security with WEP and several flavors of WPA for security but the AP at the shed does not. It does offer mac filtering where I'm guessing that you can put in the mac address of the wireless product you want to allow or deny.
Through all this I would like to leave the wired connection open if possible.

Thanks again and have a good weekend

Ken

It would be, wep and wpa are for wireless security options only. you wouldn't have to have a passcode or anything like that on the wired side. wpa2 (AES) would be the best for most installations, with the most devices supporting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back