Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bridging and tunneling

Status
Not open for further replies.

brucebanner

IS-IT--Management
Aug 18, 2003
DE
hi there,

i have two sites which are connected via wlan bridges. now i want to encrypt them, so i installed two ios-routers on each side. i have to bridge the router (yes brdging not routing) because of several reasons. now i would like to make my wlan conn a little bit safer and therefore would like to run vpn or gre tunnel over it.

that means:

bridging-router ----- wlan-bridge-----WLAN-cloud----wlanbridge2-----bridging-router2

any ideas

thanx in advance

Do you need to pass routing updates across this link such as OSPF, RIP etc.

If so then the tunnel will have to be GRE, if not then a straight IPSec tunnel will do.

Let me know, I've worked on both tunnel types.

Well,

there is a need for security, so therefore ipsec. but is it possible to use ipsec over a bridging router ?

i gave my BVi intf an ip addr. and my other ports LAN (e0)and WAN (s0) were in the bridge-group. Can I run IPSEC over it? what do i specify as the peering partner, the other BVi interface?

BTW thanx for your quick reply

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back