Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bridgehead Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

padkinson

Technical User
Apr 2, 2002
US
How do I configure a Windows Server 2003-based domain controller as the preferred bridgehead server between sites?

This is under AD Sites and Settings...although I don't have the exact spot for because I'm not near an AD controller at the momemt.

This might help:

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

This helped but didn't answer my question. I am geting this error:

KCC Error Event 1567 Occurs When You Install DNS on a Windows Server 2003-Based Domain Controller

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 813484 tells me to configure a Windows Server 2003-based domain controller as the preferred bridgehead server. I know I do this in Site and services but how?

Just search MS for "preferred bridgehead"...you'll get something like this...

To designate a preferred bridgehead server
Open Active Directory Sites and Services.
In the console tree, right-click the domain controller that you want to make a preferred bridgehead server, and then click Properties.
Where?

Active Directory Sites and Services
Sites
site that contains the domain controller that you want to make a preferred bridgehead server
Servers
the domain controller that you want to make a preferred bridgehead server
On the General tab, click the intersite transport or transports for which this computer will be a preferred bridgehead server, and then click Add.
Notes

To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Domain Admins group (in the domain of the selected domain controller) or the Enterprise Admins group in Active Directory, or you must have been delegated delegated
An assignment of administrative responsibility to a user, computer, group, or organization.
For Active Directory, an assignment of responsibility that allows users without administrative credentials to complete specific administrative tasks or to manage specific directory objects. Responsibility is assigned through membership in a security group, the Delegation of Control Wizard, or Group Policy settings.

For DNS, an assignment of responsibility for a DNS zone. Delegation occurs when a name server (NS) resource record in a parent zone lists the DNS server that is authoritative for a child zone.
the appropriate authority. As a security best practice, consider using Run as to perform this procedure.
To open Active Directory Sites and Services, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Active Directory Sites and Services.
Assigning a bridgehead server manually can cause replication problems because it prevents the Knowledge Consistency Checker (KCC) Knowledge Consistency Checker (KCC)
A built-in process that runs on all domain controllers and generates the replication topology for the Active Directory forest. At specified intervals, the KCC reviews and makes modifications to the replication topology to ensure propagation of data either directly or transitively.from making an automatic failover assignment if a manually selected bridgehead server fails. For more information, see Related Topics.
You can establish preferred bridgehead servers for one or more protocols (such as IP or SMTP).

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back