Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BrGui from XP to AIX with ssh (putty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

raylin

MIS
Jun 7, 2001
CH
I try to implement the graphical Br*tools : the BrGui which is a java gui on my XP Workstation to an SAP Server on AIX Server where the br*tools reside with Putty and ssh.
The first time a got the java gui launched but with no command choice (brbackup etc) then I began to debug on the command line level.

when I do the following :
plink -ssh -i priv.ppk ora<sid>@host command

I am always prompted for the password of ora<sid> user
which has the c shell (usr/bin/csh)

when I do the same with a normal user who has too a csh I am not prompted for the password

I have put the same public key of my WS in each $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys

Any idea ?

Hello,

a common problem with ssh connections (not specific to SAP) is with file permissions for authorized_keys file, or .ssh directory, or $HOME. authorized_keys must not be writable for anybody else, and this also means that nobody may be allowed to move (and replace) it.
Did you check this?

the .ssh directory permissions for both users :

drwx------ .ssh

the authorized_keys for both users :

-rw------- 1 orad44 dba authorized_keys

-rw------- 1 bsrl staff authorized_keys

The two users has a c shell and when i ssh from my workstation with the orad44 I am prompted for a password and when I ssh with user bsrl I am not prompted

Z:\>plink -ssh -i "c:\pscp\prv01.ppk" orad44@mbsxsr11 date;hostname
Server refused our key
orad44@mbsxsr11's password:
Thu Feb 22 14:58:24 NFT 2007
mbsxsr11

Z:\>plink -ssh -i "c:\pscp\prv01.ppk" bsrl@mbsxsr11 date;hostname
Thu Feb 22 14:58:05 NFT 2007
mbsxsr11

ok,

you checked part of what I wrote:
You also have to check all the directories in the path of the .ssh directories.
For making it clearer, let's assume the home directory of user orad44 is /oracle/D44, and the .ssh directory is /oracle/D44/.ssh, and /oracle/D44 has these permissions:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 orad44 dba D44
Then this means that anybody could move .shh to .ssh_old, and create a new .ssh with new, fake authorized_keys. Therefore ssh does not allow this.
It will be a similar problem, if /oracle has permissions rwxrwxr-x

hope this helps

Yes I could simulate it with user bsrl (I gave grp write perm and then I was prompted for a pwd too)
the D44 in /oracle/D44 has group write permission but the problem is that user d44adm (= <sid>adm )who is in the group dba must have write permission to that directory ...

... user d44adm (= <sid>adm )who is in the group dba must have write permission to that directory ...

I disagree.
In none of our systems user <sid>adm has write permissions to the home directory of user ora<sid>.
And we widely use ssh, by the way.
And as far as I know, user <sid>adm should not be in the group dba either.

If you insist on write permission for user <sid>adm, then there is no way to use ssh without password, sorry.

regards

thanks
I changed this write permission on this subdirectory and now the first hurdle is passed : I am no more prompted for a password on the command line level.

But my problem with the BrGui persists :
the java gui is launched on my XP WS , the target host and the logon button can be selected but after that no BR*tools main menu on the left side ...

glad it helped so far;
but I cannot help further; never tried BrGui myself ...

anybody out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back