Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Breakpoint not hit, no symbols loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicg

Programmer
Oct 21, 2002
US
I read the one other post about this problem, but it didn't help. Neither did a search of msdn.microsoft.com

The problem is confined to two code-behinds in one folder. The project has 'enable ASP.NET debugging' checked, and I can successfully set breakpoint in the other files in the project that are not within this folder.

I have also tried deleting all the dlls and pdb files and Rebuild All.

I have tried removing the files from the project, Rebuilding, adding the files back as new files and copying the contents, but I still have the problem.

make sure you stop IIS, clear the ASP.NET cache, rebuild all then restart IIS and try the debugging again.

--------------------------
"two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do" - the unknown sage

Is there some way to explicitly clear the ASP.NET cache?

I opened the Solution, stopped IIS, Rebuild All, start IIS, but I still have the problem. Obviously I can't open the Solution while IIS is stopped, though I tried.

I've had to use a trick to debug these pages. I put a breakpoint in a method of another class file, call that method from within the bad files, and then step out of the other class file and I'm back in the bad files.

Thanks

to clear the cache for a single project you have to Shutdown VS.NET and Remove the project's VSWebCache directory from the VSWebCache.
Start VS.Net and Rebuild your solution. If that doesnt fix it try to recreate the project and import all your files

Good luck

Note:Copying and Pasting is NoT Creativity.
What would you attempt to accomplish if you knew you would not fail?

you need to Stop IIS, go to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1...\Temporary ASP.NET Files\
delete all from there (also you might need to end task for aspnet_wp before you do that)

then restart IIS, rebuild from VS and all should work

Unbelievable, it still doesn't work.
I did the delete VSWebCache steps. no luck.
I did your steps DaZZleD. no luck.

I added a new file to this folder that contains the two 'no debug symbols' files and I was able to set a working breakpoint. I already tried deleting my bad files(saved them off first) and creating two new files in the folder with the same name, and copying in the content from the two bad files, but no luck, so maybe it is what they are named. There are, in fact, files with the same default.aspx and myaccount.aspx names in other folders...and if I double click in the breakpoint 'gutter' of my bad myaccount.aspx page, VS jumps to the othe myaccount.aspx page. I will continue testing, but does that tell you anything?

the las time in encountered this problem I had to create a new project and add all the files there...

in your case try to see if myaccount.aspx has written inside as codebehind page the correct myaccount.aspx.cs file

Everthing looks correct. I'll start with two new files w/ completely unique names and add the content to them slowly and keep testing.

I like to create new pages off of old pages and sometimes VS gives me grief about it. Maybe that's what caused it.

Thanks

open the pages in note pad and paste them into VS.net that will make VS treat them as newly created pages

good luck

Note:Copying and Pasting is NoT Creativity.
What would you attempt to accomplish if you knew you would not fail?

The verdict is that as long as the files have the names myaccount.aspx and default.aspx, I continue to get "no symbols loaded" breakpoint question marks.

I simply changed the file names of the 2 aspx's by one character and they both were able to debug. Where could there be some sort of name conflict...if this is what I should look for?
Problem persists if I create 2 new .aspx and 2 new .cs files and paste in the original content and save them with the names 'myaccount' and 'default.aspx'. I'd say it doesn't like the duplicate names, but this is actually the 3rd default.aspx in this project and there wasn't a debug problem with the 2nd one.
I did notice in the .csproj file:
Code:
        <Files>
            <Include>
                <File
                    RelPath = "Default.aspx.cs"
                    DependentUpon = "Default.aspx"
                    SubType = "ASPXCodeBehind"
                    BuildAction = "Compile"
                />
                <File
                    RelPath = "WebModules\Accounts\Admin\Default.aspx.cs"
                    BuildAction = "Compile"
                />

<File
                    RelPath = "WebModules\Pools\Default.aspx.cs"
                    BuildAction = "Compile"
                />

The 'dependent upon's are the same, but apparently this is correct.
I'm holding out on building the project from scratch as a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back