Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

breaking up text in object?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmiller24

Programmer
Aug 29, 2001
US
Hello,

I think this is my last question. I have an object field that could be one or several lines long. I just want it to be three lines long, and then print the remaining lines at the end of the report. Is this possible?

The above method of doing things seems a bit outdated, but I may have to figure out how to do it anyway.

If this is your last question on Crystal Reports...then you have done this reporting software a long time...ROFL

Seriously...I love Crystal for the most part but the questions keep on coming...and answered here too...I wished I discovered this place 3 years ago.

I digress...this shouldn't be too hard but a few questions first:

1. is your text field object a one time value or a series of values in a detail line?

if a single value we can break it up and assign each piece to a separate variable and display each separately . Otherwise we will have to set up arrays and the process is more complicated...but doable.

2. How long is the text string?

If it is over 254 characters there is not much you can do since you cannot manipulate memo or Blob fields in a formula.

If it is a memo field or Blob perhaps you can bust it up with a substring function on the sequel side into apropriate sizes (never tried that though)

give us some examples of real data and report look

regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back