Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brand new setup sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

mufaza

Technical User
May 23, 2003
US
Hello,
I need some help in placing the components in the right sequence in setting up a SBS 2003 server

Components are :

a. Comcast SBC Cable Modem/Router with 4 port(cable modem connection)
b. 5 static Ip's provided by Comcast.
c. Netgear Wireless router with 4 port
d. 8 Port Switch
e. Dell SBS 2003 Server (brandnew) with 2 Nic
f. Laptop users 2 (wireless connectivity)
g. Clients 5 (LAN connectivity)

Requirements :
I would like to configure the Dell SBS 2003 server for data sharing and Exchange. Can someone pls guide me as to how the physical setup should be to get the most out of the SBS 2003 (VPN, Remote Outlook, etc). I need help as to what ip address scheme for both the nic on the SBS should be also how would i connect the wireless users to the server thru the netgear router.

Should the connection sequence be - Cable Modem to Netgear to Nic 1 (Server) and from Nic 2 (server) to 8 port switch connecting the rest of the user.
And also what ip should be set for the Nic 1 and Nic 2.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,
MJ

anyone pls help me in getting started..with SBS Server setup

Svr1 - Nic 1 - Public IP for Net / mail access (this is one of the static ones issued by your isp) - STATIC
Svr1 - nic 2 - Private IP for client connectivity (make this something like 192.168.5.x and configure your server as a dhcp server to give this to your clients) - STATIC

Any help?

Iain

Thanks Iain, I did the setup accordingly. The only issue i face is the dhcp server service stops right away. The initial setup went ok.

I was able to login one of the user and the ip the station got was 192.168.0.12
I went ahead to the DHCP and the server wasn't there. I clicked Action and added the server. Now i do see it on the list but with a Red X.

Pls let me know what should be done to keep the dhcp service up.

Regards,
MJ

the dhcp service should just run and run.

If you right click it and select start what happens?

Anything in the event logs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back