Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brand new CRC errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeean

Technical User
Sep 13, 2004
GB
On several occasions I've had the usual CRC errors, and have been able to remedy them with new tapes, cleaning the tape heads etc etc. Now however, I have a very strange re-occurring CRC error.

I am running BE 8.5 on Windows NT with a robotic library with 2 tape drives in. On this particular backup server I am running 4 jobs, each one backing up a different server. Now, 3 out of the 4 servers backup with no problems. However, the 4th keeps getting a CRC error. I swapped for brand new tapes, and cleaned the drive and tried moving the job so it backs up on the other drive in the library. Each time, a CRC error. This would lead me to suspect that there was a corrupt file on the server in question. However, the CRC error occurs at different points in the backup each time.
Since the server (linux server by the way) has 4 logical disk partitions, I tried creating 4 separate jobs, 1 for each disk, hoping to narrow down the location of the corrupt file(s). This time however, everything ran with no problems. As soon as I combined the jobs back again, the CRC error came back.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this should keep happening? I could leave the backup of this server as 4 separate jobs, but it gets quite untidy and uses more tapes than are really necessary. I am aware that changing the block and buffer size of the tape drives is a potential solution, but I’d rather not as this is going to cause no end of problems when I come to restore data from tapes written with a different block size on different backup servers. Quite likely there are no other solutions to this problem, but does anyone know why its actually happening? If I knew the cause I might be able to work around it somehow.

Many thanks in advance,

Iain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back