Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bpexpdate -deassignempty doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBMike

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
GB
Hi, please can anyone help. I have a lot of tapes with 0 valid images on them, showing in the media list report. They're not frozen or suspended and as far as I can tell, they should have expired out of the media list.

I think it's because the 'bpexpdate -deassignempty' command isn't working. This command is supposed to expire any tapes with no images on it. Netbackup runs it automatically in the background every 12 hours, or I can manually initiate one.

In the all log entries log I have the following errors for the automatic attempts:

"Host <mediaservername> not found for at least one fragment, -deassignempty operation terminated"
"Could not update media list, host is unreachable"

If I run the bpexpdate -deassignempty command manually, it returns

"Host is unreachable"

The media server it's referring to no longer exists, it was decomissioned a few months ago. It was deleted from the media and device manager GUI and the storage units GUI, and removed from vm.conf. So I don't understand why bpexpdate is trying to find it, and it's preventing my tapes from expiring automatically. Can anyone help me get it working again?

Thanks in advance

M

Hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, most of that techtip describes what we need to do before the media server is switched off...but it's a bit late for that! The bpimage -movedb commands won't work because the old media server no longer exists (the command times out).

Next time I'll make sure we follow the above techtip, but for my current problems, does anyone know how to move the media and images from the old decomissioned server, over to a new media server, once the old media server has already been switched off and no longer exists?

TIA

M

sorry, but you will have to run bpimport if you want to do any restores from those media. If you just want to delete them then perhaps you could find this technote helpful.
There are some commands listed in it that may shed some light on the media db problem. Take a look if you want.
Media Manager error 94: "Volume not in specified pool" - scenarios and solutions

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at that technote.

M

PS. Restores are fine, we've never had a problem restoring backups from this turned off media server. We just added the <oldmediaserver> <newmediaserver> pairing to the 'force_restore_media_server' registry key on the master server to force it to use a different media server. I've just tested it to make sure restores definitely still do work for this particular media server in qustion, and it's fine.

Hi NBMIKE
I have exactly the same problem right now with a media server gone forever,how did you solve the problem?
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back