Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bpdbjobs / activity monitor ¦ Large List Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorga

MIS
Jul 30, 2003
NZ
NB DataCenter 4.5
Solaris

Our activity monitor list grows rapidly..

bpdbjobs -report | wc -l

Thats the last 24 hours.. so, if you open the GUI, and go into activity monitor it takes a while to load, and can make finding what you are looking for painfull.

We usually just cope, and ignore it until it gets above 60k jobs, then restart the daemons which does clear the problem, what I am trying to figure out is a better solution than bouncing the daemons..

Open to ideas....

wow..... thats a bunch!.....

I know you can adjust how much logging is present....
Not sure why you would have to bounce the daemons...
I know 4.5 needs alot more swap than NBU 3.4

Yes, you can adjust the configuration, that is the problem..

TechNote:
bp.conf:
KEEP_JOBS_HOURS = 72
KEEP_JOBS_SUCCESSFUL_HOURS = 12

72 hours is 3 days, I now have jobs that are 4 days old listed.. In order for NB to clear it, it will have to be bounced.. That is what I dont understand..

So, I was thinking about

bpdbjobs -clean -keep_hours 72 -keep_successful_hours 12

But my question is, why doesnt the configured settings work as described..

Has anyone else experienced this?

What we do...

Modify bp.conf:
keep_jobs_hours = 72
keep_jobs_successful_hours = 70

If the keep_successful_hours is equal or greater than keep_job_hours, I have seen problems. I take it one step further in that I automatically run a batch job every day to clean out the activity monitor for me - We have advanced reporter gathering all pertinent information. The batch file is:
netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpdbjobs -clean -keep_hours 3

I keep the defaults of 72 hours so that on Monday morning I can see evrything for the weekend. Our batch file runs at 10:00 a.m. every day and Advanced Reporter is updated at 7:00 a.m. - The reason for keeping 3 hours.

You didn't mention at what MP you were running. I ran into this with the inital installation of 4.5. Veritas sent us a patch for the problem. It was a standard fix in either MP_2 or MP_3. So if your just running 4.5 without any upgrades this could be your problem, so I suggest you upgrade to MF_3 or FP_3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back