Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BP50/250 IPU board - VoIP capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

j.br

Technical User
May 11, 2023
DE
Hi all,

there exist an IPU board for the BP50/250 to allow VoIP connections.
Intention is to get the current ISDN links to the provider's exchange offcie extended and then replaced by SIP accounts (no SIP trunking required).
I was told by a local telecom guy that the IPU board can be used for internal VoIP clients only (which I doubt a bit).

Further, some posts here in the forum said that for the actual ethernet connection one needs a NIU or NIU2 board and an adapter cable subD9 <-> RJ45.
I was already wondering as the photos of the said IPU did not show any connector looking like RJ45 ... The boards seems to have a small daughter card plugged in (with a DSP I suppose).

Does someone knows what's required to make it work?
Is that IPU board able to talk via NIU(2) to SIP servers of major providers?

What are the limitations of the IPU board? How many parallel active VoIP channels (a/µ law codec is sufficient) and how many registered VoIP clients are possible?

Any requirements on the installed CPU board and it's software release?

Could someone share any documentation in PDF on IPU and NIU/2?

Alternatively, we would need to pursue the approach using a VoIP<->ISDN converter box.

Thanks a lot for any help!

IPU only can only handle H323 and not SIP.
There still exists a SIPU card where you can connect SIP extensions but still not SIP trunks.

NIU or NIU2 card - Ericsson MD110 interface card , not BP 50/250 system interface card

1)
Thanks Enrikers. Did I got your comment right: The NIU(2) card is for MD110 only, and does not fit an DP50.
Please let me know. Looks like we don't get this to work ... and should pursue the VoIP<->ISDN gateway approach.

2)
Also: Does the SIPU board requires an updates firmware on the CPU-D4? Does it works at all with CPU-D4 or do we need to change also to an CPU-D5?

3)
Has someone got a BP50 to talk to a provider's SIP server (no trunking, just 2 single numbers)?
I want to evaluate our available options.

If you will use it in the future - then SIP/ISDN2 gateway,
the simplest and cheapest option - analog trunk card (BTU-A card) + SIP adapter - for trunk version.

The answer to your 2nd question :

up to 8 SIP extension - board without license

bp_nxzxws.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back