Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bounds file.. coredump[

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandan123

Technical User
Sep 9, 2005
US
What is the function of the bounds file ? Is it a counter of how many times a dump was saved or does it define how many dumps can be saved ?

One of our servers crashed recently and all I can find are old dumps. Output of dumpadm -

dumpadm
Dump content: kernel pages
Dump device: /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 (dedicated)
Savecore directory: /var/crash/server_name
Savecore enabled: yes

The root disc has been encapsulated under veritas , so my question is will I have to change the dump device to point to the swap device under veritas ? It seems to be pointing to the old swap partition before encapsulation.

df -k shows -

swap 4319704 24 4319680 1% /var/run
swap 4319696 16 4319680 1% /tmp

dandan123;

You can't define swapvol as the dump device. Even if you try it comes back with an error. I have a system running Solaris 9 and Veritas 3.5 with encapsulated and mirrored boot drive. My dump device is /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 and since it is a test bed I just ran reboot -d which causes a system crash and it did create vmcore.# unix.# and bounds.

What OS are you running? Things to think about are how big is swap, how much memory do you have and is you var filesystem large enough to hold the crash files.

Thanks

CA

I didn't know I had to do a sync before booting..which was why the dump wasn't being saved.

I was able to make the system crash.. did a sync and then boot and now I have my core file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back