Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bound Query?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmkieffe

Technical User
Jun 12, 2006
ID
Hi,

Can someone help me with a problem of linking subforms to forms?

I have a subform which I am trying to connect to my main form. I would like to select an entry in a combobox in the main form and display information related to that entry's ID in the subform.

When I try to link Master and Child Fields I get a "cannot link unbound forms" error.

I'm almost positive that the main form is bound, but the subform's source object is a query reading values from a table that the main form populates. Im thinking that Access is telling me that my query is unbound. Can I make the query bound? Or is there another way to fix this problem?

Thanks,
pmkieffe

pmkieffe,
I'm almost positive that the main form is bound
???

Is there a valid entry in the Record Source field in the form's property sheet? If so, the form is bound, if not, it's unbound.

What you are describing with your combo/subform is achievable, but is not the most common use of a subform. Usually a form/subform combination involves 2 tables in a one:many relationship, with both form and subform bound to their respective table.

I think you will need to use your combo as a criteria in your subform's query, then use the combo's AfterUpdate event to update the view of the subform.

Ken S.

How would I use the combobox as a criteria in the subfrom's query? The use of the AfterUpdate event makes sense, but I do not understand using the criteria.

Thanks,
pmkieffe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back