Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bound or Not Bound - A question

Status
Not open for further replies.

miked123

Programmer
Nov 9, 2001
US
What is the general consensus using controls. Do you bind them or write the read and write procs. I'm talking 50k records and up. Last century we would never use a bound control. Have things improved, can you cancel an edit in the new ado controls?

Are you creating one connection and using it thruout the application with different recordsets or does each form have its own connection.

Thanks for your input
Mike Davis Mike Davis
MSsql, VB and Crystal Reports Developer

My opinion is to avoid bound controls.

I use VB6, Sql Server and Crystal Reports and use one connection throughout the program(sometimes you may have an exception that requires a second temporary connection).

If an error occurs during an update, the update is cancelled using the CancelUpdate command.

I agree. Do not use bound controls unless this is a small, local db application and you want to get something done quickly - even then, I myself wouldn't use them. If you already have one or more good programs created with-out bound controls, then it should be just as easy and fast to create even small apps with-out them - esp. when you are able to re-use components and code.

I also use one connection for the most part. If I need to access another db source (such as 2 or more different MDBs which are not linked) then I will create a new connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back