Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bounced Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
May 3, 2006
US
I have just switch to different ISP and already changed the MX Record; everything seems working fine; one of our customer said that they can send the email to me, they got this error error message:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: notebook 7/21/06
Sent: 7/24/2006 8:28 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

john luis (E-mail) on 7/26/2006 8:41 AM
Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified.
Please retry or contact your administrator.
<Exchange5.MAIL #4.4.7>

Kevin S (E-mail) on 7/26/2006 8:41 AM
Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified.
Please retry or contact your administrator.
<Exchange5.MAIL #4.4.7>
I haven't changed any policy on my end; can anyone tell me why can't I get the email from this sender?

Many thanks,
-Steve

sorry, I mean they can't send the email to me.

Many thanks,
-Steve

how long ago was the MX changed?
DNS take time to propagate...it could be that their DNS server has not received the update.
Have your sender try to setup SMTP connector based on IP to bypass DNS and see if they can send it to you.
Have your sender do a nslookup from their DNS server (or their ISP's server)....
visit and do some tests yourself to see if the MX is its place...
All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

[URL unfurl="true"]http://mostarnet.com[/url]

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Is this error for every user or only the 2 listed.
If so then we need to look towards your exchange if it applies to everyone in your org then there 2 concepts to conisder:
1. DNS related communication (as noted above)
2. Your Roter/Firewall/Port 25 being blocked

post your IP or domain if you would like some one here to run a few tests....if you can for sec. reasons.

Again, if this error is from only one domain (sender) then they might have trouble commicating with your server for their own bag of issues.

All the best!

fugitive.gif

It's very likely that they cached the old MX record with a really long ttl, so their system doesn't know it's changed. As a result, their system is still attempting to send to the IP address in your old MX record.

MX records don't propagate with DNS records (like nameservers). But they do get cached based on the ttl specified with the record.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

oh nice one 58sniper...as suggested you can try to have them delete the cache on their DNS server

fugitive.gif

they basically can't send any mail to anyone on my domain, everyone else can send email to my domain fine and just this one only.

Thanks a bunch for the help; I just verified with the sender and they sent their DNS mx record to me and it show the correct mail server and the IP address; I had to open an authentication port on my firewall just for this client only to have the traffic coming through, and the email seems coming through now. I am not quiet sure why.

Many thanks,
-Steve

To clarify, I disabled the port again and the email was coming
though, so it wasn't the authentication port at all; they didn't admit that they have to clear the DNS cache, but after talking to them a few time and the email is working "magically"

Thank for you help,
-Steve

So are you under the assumption that they just cleared the dns cache?

is it possible that they block the access to send email to my domain (blacklist)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back