Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bounce Tomcat remotely 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissan240zx

Programmer
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hello All,
Working on a application that runs on Tomcat and as well all know we need to bounce tomcat to reflect any code changes.
Now the problem is my Tomcat is installed on a remote webserver to which I dont have complete access.
On my development box I have access to the folder where my sources are on the server thats all.
If I have to stop/start the tomcat services, I have to call or email the web admin and thats not the best way to do it.
Is there anyway I can bounce the server from my machine.
I was thinking if I could make a shortcut of Tomcat.exe and store it in the shared folder that I have access to, I could double click that to initate Tomcat.

Will that work..
Please advice...

Thanks...
Nissan...

A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

I would say that the ability to stop a server remotely was a security risk to say the least.
Much better to shell onto the machine, and restart it like that.

In any case, your shared folder thing would not work.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Will this method work - found it on Google

Place shortcuts to the server startup and shutdown scripts inside my main development directory or on my desktop. You will likely find it convenient to do the same.
For example, one way to make these shortcuts is to go to install_dir/bin, right-click on startup.bat, and select Copy. Then go to your development directory, right-click in the window, and select Paste Shortcut (not just Paste). Repeat the process for install_dir/bin/shutdown.bat. If you put the shortcuts on your desktop, you can also assign keyboard shortcuts to invoke them. On Unix, you would use ln -s to make a symbolic link to startup.sh, catalina.sh (needed even though you don't directly invoke this file), and shutdown.sh.

A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. - Doug Linder

If the scripts/bat files/exe's run on the server, then yes. If not, then no.

I really think you should get access to the machine in question rather than going around some hacky workaround.

Hello Sedj,
On my shared folder I do have access to the Tomcat 5.5 install folder and the tomcat5.exe.
Can these be of any help.
I checked with the web server team and they are not agreeing to give any PC Anywhere kind of arrangement.

So any other idea....please..

Nissan

Is there anything I can execute over the browser

Well I have to say, if your sys admins are not allowing you to shut down and restart the web server, then that is an issue betweenn you and them.
There are many times when I would like to be able to restart the servers where I work, but company protocol says that developers, in a live situation are not allowing to.

I 'm afraid that as such, I feel I cannot give you any backdoors to how you could do it - you will just have to live with the fact, as I do, that if you need the web server restarting , then you will need to request your sys admins do it instead of you.

Thanks sedj..I guess sys admins are my only hope...huh...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back