Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bought a ws4lx to use with my sytem but wont install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronatron

Technical User
May 10, 2018
US
I am replacing a ws4 that was eng platform 4.2 v 12.97 rc 15.2 gr 2.3 - When using the ws4lx with newer CE it is saying the operating sytem partitiotn is too small for this image during a ws4lsprerewcheck
Am i able to downgrade this ws4lx to work with my system?

The older WS4LX's had smaller Udoc's I would pull the CAL package out of the ws4lx directory and just run with it on the platform that it is on

How do I pull the CAL package out of the directory? I’m a little confused at your wording.

if you go to the Micros server find %Micros Drive%\Micros\Res\Cal\WS4LX\Packages\(in here you should find a MCRSCAL folder along with a CE upgrade folder, that I do not know the naming off the top of my head on, maybe something called platform update or ce something or other, you can drill down in the folder and find out if is the CE update, i want to say it would have a NKbin file or at least a windows background picture jpg in it that would let you know that is the one... anyway just re name those, run a WCF on the workstation and re cal again and you will not get the error anymore.

ok thank you I will try tonight when I get there.. thank you.

I’m sorry to be a pain, what should I be renaming these files to ?

Edit: or am I just copying the files from the mcrscal folder into the engplatform6.0 folder ?

just re name the folder throw a _old on the end of the name, there is a setup.dat file in there that cal looks for and if the folder name, if does not match it will not work, its a quick and dirty way around getting cal to not load up a package, and I am talking about that folder in the packages dir, you dont need to rename anything in it just the folder. or you culd just cut it and paste it to a different location. I just like to keep it just in case I want to update a different LX that is newer and has the larger Udoc,

i assume it is quite simple. the UDOC has the same size.
the CF Card is to small, we also had the issue with old 64mb CF Cards. these need to Replaced with 128MB or i assume 256MB is working too.

the second option is not update anything by removing the folders
i short Rename or Move the following folders away
MICROS\RES\CAL\WS4\Packages\EngPlatform???
MICROS\RES\CAL\WS4LX\Packages\EngPlatform???

third option
copy the nk.bin from the EngPlatform folder to the CF and Reboot the Workstation, it will update itself.

Actually POSKitchen that is not true the WS4lx had 2 different Udoc sizes if you open the Platform update file you will see that it checks (I think it uses S/N, you will see it in the notes) our office ran into this issue all of the time when we were doing upgrades, there was an Oracle (or Micros at the time) document that explained what LX S/N's had the older Udocs, I think yes you may be able to copy the NKbin but I would not go that route. I do know that regular workstation 4's would give a different error when running CAL about size and that was a CF deal, if OP is using 32/64 meg CF cards I do recommend getting some 128/256 CF cards if you are on 5.x res

I do have 256mb cards and renaming the folder did the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back