Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Both USB and PS2 Keyboards will not work during POST. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadsqrd2

MIS
Feb 15, 2007
US
I have a Compaq Presario 5000 that I am trying to reload due to viruses, but I am unable to do so. The keyboard works great once the system boots into WinXP, but when trying to boot to the CD the system will not register a keyboard to get the "any key" response. I have updated all of the drivers and I have taken out the CMOS battery to reset the settings. Still no change. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you get into the BIOS settings? If so ensure 'Legacy USB support' is enabled for a USB keyboard.

Couple of things to bear in mind.

It is just possible a virus could have modified your BIOS. You may need to download the tools and software required from the manufacturers web site and flash the BIOS. This is not a procedure for the faint hearted however because if the flash procedure fails you will likely render you PC into a useless pile of junk.

Before you re-install the O/S (If you get that far) download and run (as stand alone bootable CD or floppy) the drive manufacturer's diagnostics and zero fill the drive to ensure any boot sector virus is destroyed.

I have been known to be wrong.
The best way to thank someone who helps you is give them a star.

Hola, I agree with you STDUC on the BIOS setting and the Zero Filling the drive...

but still it seems strange that a PS/2 Keyboard does not work either... unless the KBD is damaged... in that case try another KBD that is known to work...

once the LEGACY setting is set correctly, then the USB KBD should work fine... remember that the USB KBD will work in the BIOS but not during the SYSTEM INSTALL until that setting is set...

keep us posted...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I have tried 3 different PS2 KB's and still no response until the system boots into Windows.

Ahh, but have you made sure that all USB connections were disconnected at startup?

We have many old Compaq workstations that refuse to bootup properly if a USB keyboard or mouse is connected, even with Legacy USB support activated. I believe it has something to do with the version of the BIOS, but the easy workaround is to only use PS/2 connections leaving all USB ports open.

Hope that makes a difference...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Don't know whether you have fixed it by now, probably have.

But have you reset your bios back to default? Something simple, but worth trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back