Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boss Wants Support for Non-Supported Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirslacker

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2002
US
Need some advice-

Boss is using software to sync his desktop and laptop. It is a free product although you can buy for $100 support by email only. In 2005 the product was bought by MS to be integrated into Windows Live. Suddenly, it's not working. Email support is asking him questions he doesn't know about and so he won't answer them. He called the company who told him they are now owned by MS and to call them. MS connected him to a guy in India who says he never heard of the product.

My boss wants me to get support for the product at any cost-but I have no way of getting support (boss is out of the office 95% of the time so emailing about the problems is difficult)Some message boards indicate that the program may have been disabled in a Windows update. It's called Foldershare. Any ideas?

So, we have support through the end of the year but when we call MS (not email) they have no idea what we are talking about.

Life9 said:
...So, we have support through the end of the year...
If you have paid someone for support, then I would start there. If Microsoft now owns this product, I'd hammer them until you find reasonable help (that doesn't begin with the the phrase, "Namaste" <grin>).

It should not be too hard to ask Microsoft's switchboard to connect you with their legal department, yoam-sayn?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Aye, as long as you are sure that MS now do actually own the product.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Email support is asking him questions he doesn't know about and so he won't answer them.

No offense, but that's not the best way to get support. If they're asking him questions he can't answer, then he needs to find someone in that office who can answer them. Is there a possibility that you can sit down and look at the questions? Possibly answer their email for better answers.

Email support is asking him questions he doesn't know about and so he won't answer them

Asking by e-mail? Why someone did not tried to do it personally? If he have a little smart nephew, who can look at the laptop get on the internet and find the solution, he will start wondering why he has all those high paid professionals...

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back