Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boss says to lock all photo's in FP2002..ok, how? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameszr1

MIS
Apr 24, 2002
US
In our website, we have pictures that I have just inserted. They are .jpg, bmp, and .gif for the most part. My boss now thinks that they should be locked so no one can download them. I'm using FP2002 and would appreciate knowing how this is done. On the rare occasion that I have tried to download a pic, I usually got a msg that appeared to be writen by the webmaster, or as my boss calls me, "the web-bastard". It's all in good fun or I'd tell him to do it himself. (he doesn't have a clue) but I don't either on how to lock the pic's. Thanks in advance.
James

I'm not exactly sure how to do what you are talking about in code. You have to capture the right click of the mouse and put an "alert("copying not allowed") That will put up the message for you but I'm not sure how to capture the right click.

At any rate if someone wants a copy of the picture all they have to do is hit the "printscreen" key and open "mspaint" and past the image in there, then crop it out. At least that is what I do when I want one that has the right click disabled. Rob
Just my $.02.

You happen to be in luck--I found this code yesterday. It uses a simple Visual Basic Script:

In the heading of the page:

<Script Language=&quot;VBScript&quot;>
sub fOnMouseDown()
if Window.event.button = 2 Then
Alert(&quot;Right Click Disabled&quot;)
End If
End sub
</Script>

Put this code into the body:

<body link='#6600FF' vlink='#0000FF' onMouseDown=&quot;fOnMouseDown()&quot; >

Please note that this will REALLY annoy your users. A lot of people (me included) use right click to do a lot of different things. It is isn't a guarantee that someone won't find a way around.

Linda Adams
Linda Adams/Emory Hackman Official Web site Official web site for actor David Hedison:

Save your time and tell the boss it cannot be done. Every web page you visit is stored as a temporary file on your hard drive. Even if you don't choose save as...The file is already on your drive. These little annoyances usually encourage people to save the images out of spite.

This may deter the unknowing user..but is it worth your time? DeZiner
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic

Would it be worth getting a digital watermark on the images if they're that important?

You can register for a user number at and then use programs such as Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro to watermark the images. If you have 99 images or less then you can have a year's free trial.

If someone downloads the image and then tries to use it on their own site then the service can track where the images are being used so that you can contact the webmaster and request they be removed.

The watermark, by the way, can be set so that the user can't see it - they'll get a message if they try to open the image in a compatible graphics program, though.

Would it be worth getting a digital watermark on the images if they're that important?

You can register for a user number at and then use programs such as Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro to watermark the images. If you have 99 images or less then you can have a year's free trial with Digimarc.

If someone downloads the image and then tries to use it on their own site then the service can track where the images are being used so that you can contact the webmaster and request they be removed.

The watermark, by the way, can be set so that the user can't see it - they'll get a message if they try to open the image in a compatible graphics program, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back