Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boss/Assistant Voicemail Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

lzdkng438

MIS
Dec 23, 2004
US
Currently have a Boss/Assistant setup where the Boss' extension will ring, if they don't answer it will go the assistant's extension. If the assistant doesn't answer it then goes to the Boss' voicemail.
What I need to do is this, if the assistant answers a call, I need a way of allowing them to send that call directly to voicemail and not go through the hunt process. How can I go about this?

Use Express Messaging on your voice mail system.

Or create an ACD that NCFW's to the voicemail pilot number. Then add that ACD DN to the Boss's DN list on User modification screen of the voicemail system. When the secretary wants to send someone to his voicemail, she transfers the call to that ACD DN.

I have a question about using Express Messaging to transfer the caller. This works, however, the caller will not hear the boss' actual mailbox greeting, but instead will only hear the recorded name of the mailbox. And, if the secretary isn't quick about it, the caller might not hear the name either. Why is it that the caller wouldn't hear the boss' entire mailbox greeting.

When transferring to the boss' DN and letting the phone FNA to vmail, the full mailbox greeting will be heard. What's the difference?

Maybe I'm missing something in programming.....

Thanks

express mail plays the internal greeting on my pilot, not the external you normally hear.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Can you tell it which greeting you want callers to hear? Is there somewhere in programming I can configure this?

Our users record their external greeting as well as their mailbox name. Nobody uses the internal greeting.

Interesting. My Express Messaging plays the personal verification (I'm on CallPilot 2.0 something), not the internal greeting. Phoney, you are correct, the secretary needs to transfer quickly when using Express Messaging this way. I've struggled with this myself. I think part of Nortel's idea with Express Messaging was "it needs to be quick, fast, and to the point." In a boss/secretary situation as described above, the ACDN/NCFW scenario is the best solution, IMO.

now we learn that express means go fast, express mail is normally for internal users i guess? but mine does the same thing

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the ACDN on night call forward will work, but it's another number for people to remember. It's especially frustrating when our old voicemail system (Octel) could accomplish this, but our shiny new one can't.... this method of using an ACDN with a different DN is definitely a step backwards.... but will have to do.

your right the octel will do anything, so will the pilot after you learn a few work arounds

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

The caller is hearing the personal verficialtion. If you delete it, the caller will hear the mailbox announcement:

Mailbox XXXX, then the external greeting.

If you do not NEED the verification, this can solve your issue without doing any additional programming.

Hope this helps,

Scott M.

On our CallPilot system, each user has a primary and secondary extension. Some people are set up with a 3rd extension that jumps directly into the persons voicemail just like the issue you're discussing here. I have no idea how to set this up and cannot find anything regarding express messaging. Anyone know of some training literature for the CallPilot software besides the installation and configuration book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back