Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Borland C++ Builder 6.0 annoying auto save!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuntsvilleRob

Programmer
Nov 3, 2010
US
Hello, I am using Borland C++ Builder 6.0 and I am constantly getting the "wait" cursor as I type code. I guess it is somehow autosaving the code but it is very annoying. About every 15 seconds, I have to wait for the hourglass cursor to finish before I can continue! I have looked but can't find any way to disable this annoying feature. Any suggestions? Thanks. -Rob

The hourglass is most likely occuring because of either background compilation or Code Insight. Try turning off the background compilation option first, and if that does not work, turn down the delay time on Code Insight to as low as it will go.

Hi, and thanks for your input! Can you direct me to where I can find the "background compilation option"? I have looked and can not find where this option is. Thanks again. -Rob

Hello, again. I have found where to select the background compilation option. Is it under Tools->Environment Options -> Preferences tab at the bottom of the Compiling and running group box. It is unchecked. I have also gone to Tools -> Editor Options -> Code Insight tab and moved the slider all the way to the right, it's at 1.5 sec. I still get that damned hourglass wait cursor constantly. Any other suggestions? -Rob

OK, it is not autosaving! What is happening is that each time the cursor hovers over any variable, eg-, Canvas, it displays a bubble message like

Canvas - Graphics.hpp (373)

How the heck can I turn this off? Thanks. -Rob

1. You need to move the slider all the way to the left for minimal delay, not the right.

2. In the same window, there are several checkboxes which govern the Code insight behavior. I would uncheck all but the code completion and Code Parameters boxes. I find these very useful.

Thanks for your input, Prattaratt. Even when I uncheck ALL the boxes in Tools->Editor Options->Code Insight tab and slide the slider all the way to the left, I still get those bubble windows like

ShowModal - Forma.hpp (721)

when the cursor hovers over ShowModal(). It's the display of those useless bubble windows that is making me wait. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Rob

Okay, well that's odd because when I uncheck Tooltips Symbol Insight in the Code Insight Dialog, the bubble windows that you are talking about stop popping up in mine. Hmmmm. [ponder]

Hmmm... Maybe we're looking at different things. I don't see a Code Insight dialog, just a Code Insight tab in the Editor Properties dialog. Also, on this tab, there is no "Tooltips Symbol Insight" checkbox, just "Tooltip expression evaluation" checkbox. I have the latter unchecked, I only have Code completion and Code parameters checked.

heck out this thread from another Site
It basically says the same thing... To be quite honest, I use BCB 5.0 and C++ Builder 2010. The Tooltips Symbol Insight checkbox is in both of those versions, so I figured it was safe to assume it is in 6.0 as well, and from the conversation linked to above, it is.
When I said "Code Insight Dialog", I did mean the Page on the Editor Options Dialog...My Apologies for the confusion. At this point, I don't know what to say to help you any further if that option is not on that page. It is obvious you have tooltips insight working, as that is what you are describing. You might try searching your helpfiles for it and see what information they provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back