Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bordercolorlight alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

djd4n

Programmer
Jan 30, 2005
GB
Hi
i'm using the bordercolorlight and bordercolordark attributes to draw a box outline in a table by setting them to the same colour. you can see this on:
It is on the menu buttons home, news etc. This obviously only works in IE and not in anything else. How can I get it to appear in Firefox etc the same as in IE, basically making it XHTML compatible?

thanks

dan.

Use CSS instead of the various [tt]bordercolor[/tt] attributes, something along these lines...

Change the table to look like this:
Code:
<table id="menu" cellspacing="3">
  <tr>
    <td><a href='/demo_home.php'>Home</a></td>
    <td><a href='/demo_news.php'>News</a></td>
    ... etc ...
  </tr>
</table>
Then the border colour, along with other stuff previously held in sundry attributes, <div>, <font> and <b> tags can be put in your style sheet:
Code:
table#menu {
   width: 100%;
   border-collapse: seperate;
   border-spacing: 3px;
}

table#menu td {
   padding: 0;
   width: 10%;
   border: 1px solid #CCCCCC;
   text-align: center;
   font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
   font-weight: bold;
}

table#menu a {
   color: #666666;
}

table#menu a:hover {
   color: #AAAAAA;
}
Unfortunately, IE doesn't understand [tt]border-spacing[/tt], so I've had to leave the [tt]cellspacing[/tt] attribute in the HTML for its benefit, otherwise all the presentation information is in the CSS and the HTML just holds the content - which is how things are supposed to be.

Incidentally, if you added
Code:
body {
   font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}
You wouldn't have to wrap every bit of text on the page in a <font> tag.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back