Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bootup choice screen 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crustyoldbloke

Technical User
Jul 15, 2002
GB
I recently had to reinstall Windoze due to a file corruption that just refused to be repaired. The new OS is working fine and the old corrupted version, deleted from the HDD. The only downside is that when booting, I get a choice of two OS's, both identical, but only one working.

How can I get rid of the invalid entry on the boot choice screen? Anybody got any ideas?

Kind regards

COB

Use Notepad to edit boot.ini to remove the line referencing the missing OS. Make sure you remove the correct (bad) one.

either edit the boot.ini and delete the old entry or go to my computer-properties-advanced-start and restore (not sure, my system is in german). there you can choose wich system should be started by default.

Thanks guys. I couldn't access the BOOT.INI file even after showing all system and hidden files, so in system start and restore, I just unchecked the box with the list of OS available and now it boots normally.

Kind regards

COB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back