Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bootstrap.log growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

speculos

Technical User
Oct 19, 2001
FR
Hi,

I have 2 Networker servers 7.1.4/Windows2K,
using on both a bootstrap notification
Action: nsrlog -f "D:\nsr\logs\bootstrap.log"

For the first server the boostrap.log file is more than 4 Gb, and growing quickly
For the other server the file is less than 2 Mb (cumulating each day only 20 lines)
What can explain the difference?

What about looking inside these files? ... of course with an equivalent of the 'tail' utility.

By default, no bootstrap.log file is created at all. Consequently somebody must have have setup this notification. I can only assume that different events for the notifications have been checked so that more than the necessary info is stored. But this is just a guess. The contents should tell you more.

You would normally only be interested in the last bootstrap log. Therefore the nsrlog might not be the best option since that appends to the log file and therefore it is growing quickly. The difference between the servers might be that you run the bootstrap several times for one of the them. This could be the case if the NetWorker server is not included in any autostarted group. It then appends the bootstrap to all groups.

You might consider using another approach since you also preferably should not have the bootstrap on your backup server only. This is the server that needs protection in this case and therefore you might want to have your bootstrap info somewhere else. I usually set up a mail notification instead or in some circumstances use a script to both store the bootstrap in a file and send a mail.

Thank you for both replies

I already send a mail with the last bootstrap with a script:

mminfo -q "savetime>=yesterday,!ssrecycle,name=bootstrap" -ot -v >>lastbootstrap.txt
blat lastbootstrap.txt -to admin@domain

Now I will remove the nsrlog notification which is no more useful.

>>lastbootstrap.txt means append til lastbootstrap.txt

Try to change it to >lastbootstrap.txt which means that the existing lastbootstrap.txt removes before the new creates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back