Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booting up a Laptop from a non-local Hard Drive 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerVersatile

Technical User
Jun 8, 2008
CA
Guys,

I have a Dell Inspiron Notebook that went dead recently. I removed the undamaged Hard Drive which still has data on it.

I have a Latitude which I'd like to use with the extracted Hard Drive. I have a highly important software on the extracted hard drive which I need to access asap.

How can I boot the OS (Xp) from the extracted Hard Drive in the new laptop?

After you install the Inspiron HDD into the Latitude, get a hold of your Windows XP disc and perform a "Repair Install" on the drive. Dell usually provides an OEM copy of Windows with their hardware, so you should have one laying around. A "Repair Install" will keep all of your data and software, but you will lose all of your Windows Updates. The "Repair Install" will install Windows system files to the same directory to which Windows was installed before.

- Perform a Repair Installation

- How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

- How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Before doing the repair you might want to create a new install disk with SP3 slipstreamed (and possibly ie7/8 & MP11) - assuming laptop had these installed. Nlite is good for this.

Umm...before you do ANYTHING you should make a backup of the mission-critical disk, in any way that you can.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back