Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booting to a mirrored drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpk613

MIS
Jun 25, 2002
US
My Novell 3.12 server crashed last night. When the server came back the mirror was broken and one drive was out of sync ( I beleive the primary drive ID 0) I was unable to resync the mirror and I am wondering if I should break the mirror set and try to insert it again. Or is the drive dead and if so, Can I simply unplug the drive and boot to the mirrored drive that looks okay inside of INSTALL. It may be booting to that drive now but how can I tell? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It should be telling you which drive, by ID, is out of SYNC. Since SCSI drives boot from the lowest SCSI ID#, you could determine which drive is the problem, the primary or secondary.

If its the Primary thats bad, and you want to boot from the secondary, when you setup the Server, did you take the time to create a bootable DOS Partition and copy all NetWare related files to both drives... Of which both would be capable of booting and launching the NetWare Server???

If so, great, if not... I would start looking for your latest tape backup.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back