Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booting Thin-Client w/ PXE throught Cat 4507 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrowland

Technical User
Jun 21, 2001
CA
Hello,

We are currently rolling out thin clients to our staff which boot using pxe which loads the boot image and os image from a linux server (which also houses the DHCP server). They work fine, however, when I try to connect from a different VLAN through our Cisco Catalyst 4507, I receive either "No DHCP or ProxyDHCP responce" or " Unable to find boot filename".

Does anyone have any experience with this type of scenario. I have tried helper addresses and netxt-server addresses pointing to the Linux server but to no avail.

Do I have to have the PXE image on the catalyst? If so how do I upload it? I noticed that the Catalyst 4507 has multiple filesystems. Which one would I use?

Thanks to anyone would can help me with this.

Richard Rowlandson

It sounds like a helper address needs to be added to the router interface which acts as the gateway for the vlan in question. the vlan which works has a helper ip address on the router which points bootp requests to the correct host ie; linux server. goodluck.

Hi Dave,

I had already put the helper addresses in. However, I finally did get it going by adding the "spanning-tree portfast" option to the interface. Worked like a charm.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Richard,

I have the same problem to PXE boot from an other VLAN with a 4506 with IOS Version 12.1 (12c)EW. I add spanning-tree portfast but I can not get the PXE service getting a message like

"Client ID: 192.168.104.56 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 DHCP 192.169.104.141
PXE-E55 ProxyDHCP No reply to request on Port 4011"

The DHCP server is diferent from the PXE Server but I inserted both as IP Helper Addresses.

I snooped the connection and can see that the DHCP packages where different from what I see in a switched environment.

Any ideas ??
carsten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back