Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lennytfromalbany

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2004
US
I have an old PC that everytime it boots :

asivmsvc.vxd file displays

The operator <cr> pass it but I have run a registry fix thinking that might help cure it. I saw somewhere something about NEC printer drivers and it may at one time have been hooked up to one but now its part of a network.
If it had where do I look for this information or what can I do to get rid of this?

annoying not critical.

thanks,

Len

Is it saying asivmsvc.vxd not found?

Assuming you are running win98 - If memory serves you can edit either boot.ini - win.ini or system.ini and remove the refence to the file if this is the case.

Possibly also could be in config.sys or autoexec.bat?
Just guessing, but its in there or boot.ini, win.ini or system.ini as stduc says.

You may want to rem it if possible just in case you need it back. I never learned dos so im not that sure of myself, but you should find it in one of these places.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Just copy the file in question to .old or whatever you prefer!

If its 'not found' message (and you are running win9x/ME), its either a registry or system.ini file entry which needs to be removed.

So, either open system.ini in notepad or run sysedit and make system.ini top file, and just run a search for that filename. If its found, put ; at start of line its on (to comment it out).

Run regedit, use search feature to look for filename. If it finds it - it may appear several times - remove each entry it appears in (you can export the entry to file first as backup in case you need to restore).

Should boot ok after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back