Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booting IBM RAID Support CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcs97

Technical User
Sep 10, 2004
CA
We have a Netfinity 5600 that runs a serveraid 4L (which was given to us without any of the CD's). I have downloaded the Raid Support CD (v7) from IBM and burned it to CD. I have reconfigured the RAID back to factory so all drives are ready but I can't get the system to boot from the CD. I have tryed the CD in other machines, it works fine, also tryed know good cdroms in the Netfinity. I don't have any experience with the Netfinity machines and would deeply appreciate some ideas/advise.

Thanks.

1. Is there at least 128MB RAM, but less than 2GB RAM installed in the server? If not, get within these limits.

2. Is the CD-ROM configured as a boot device? F1 > Start Options...

Thanks for the response. Yes to both, has 128 mb ram and I have tryed setting the CD-ROM as both the 1st and 2nd boot device, same thing. It will boot from FDD (WIN98SE).
One thing that I forgot to mention is that I can start the system with the WIN2K Server CD, of course it will not find a HDD though. I was able to create the FDD driver for the RAID CONTROLLER and WIN2K Server found the RAID controller using that driver(unconfigured of course).
Is it possible that the CD-ROM included with the Netfinity machine has a problem with burnt CD's? If so, is the CD-ROM specialized so that you have to use the IBM FRU# to replace it?
As I said, I am able to boot any of a number of different machines with the CD I burnt. I don't have much experience with these machines and am not in a real rush to get this one going but I do appreciate any suggestions that y'all might have.

Greetings:

Just went through the same thing with my Netfinty 5000 servers. Don't know if this is coincidental but the ServeRAID 7 CD would not work until a number of driver, BIOS and firmware upgrades were made. Also, please know that a mismatch of driver versions is likely to make a drive indicate that it is defunct. I've just been through this as well.

Once again, thanks for the tips! I did get it to work by using a CD Burner as the boot device, everthing went perfect after that. I have no logical explanation as to why that would be the case but ... it works. I even went back and tryed again with a brand new CD-ROM, would not boot, yet I could connect that same CD-ROM to any other PC and it would boot fine. After I got the RAID configured I was able to boot WIN2K SBS from the CD-ROM that came with the server. By the way, this is a great forum, has a lot of valuable info. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back