Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booting IBM 43P-140 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnelso26

Technical User
May 1, 2002
US
I have a problem maybe someone's seen before. I'm unable to get into either SMS or single user mode on this 43p-140. When the system is powered on and it runs POST I see the lights flash on the keyboard so I know it recognizes it. But when I hear the chirp during bootup the keyboard will not take any input (F1 F5) and the monitor is not active either.

The system will continue booting and eventually the monitor will activate as the system startup scripts are run and the keyboard will also become active. But at this point it's too late to break in. It never gets to the login screen because of a TCPIP config problem.

I've tried booting from a CD but it ignores it, so it must not be in the bootlist. And, of course, I can't get in to change the bootlist.

I've swapped keyboards but that didn't change anything.

It's a real Catch-22. Any ideas?

This could be a terminal problem.
Try ESC+1 or just 1 to get into the SMS.

A little more info on this problem. It does not hang on a specific LED. I had no luck trying to get into SMS with 1 or ESC 1. Keyboard just doesn't respond at that point in the boot process. This problem came to light after the network group made some change and now the subnet mask has changed. I just need to get into single user to change the TCP/IP settings. Unfortunately I wasn't told about the change ahead of time.

Can you hook up a serial / dumb terminal to the s1 port?

It sounds like the console is not set to the graphics card and keyboard, so the system does not check there for the input until AIX is running.

Problem resolved. I attached a LCD monitor to the system, replacing the CRT that was on it. When I rebooted this time I got the White Screen with the message ¨Type 1 to use this Display¨. I was then able to interrupt the boot and get in to single user mode. Thanks for your help, especially DukeSSD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back