Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booting from Windows 9x CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickel052

Instructor
Mar 27, 2008
CA
Hi, im trying to boot my computer with a cd. The windows 9x project for those of you who have heard of it. It is a cd containing a copy of windows 95 osr 2.5 98,98se and me. Though it is used to boot from dos, it acts as a bootable windows 98 cd. but it wont boot on my computer. I tested an xp cd to see if it would boot on start up which it did not. I now went into my bios setup utility and loaded the defaults to set things back to normal. (i inhereted the computer from my work) it now allows me to boot from a windows xp cd. But when i try with my windows 9x cd it doesnt recognize it on bootup. I have ensured that the order of booting devices is also in the right order. I had an iso image of the windows 9x cd saved on the computer. I was using microsoft virtual pc 2007 and tested the iso image in a virtual drive. It booted up from a virtual machine and gave me a cd prompt. After i burned it to a cd it would not boot anymore. nothing was modified in the image when i burned it to the cd so i do not know why it is not allowing me to boot from the cd. If it helps at all, my windows 9x cd is supposed to boot just like a normal windows 98 bootable cd. If anyone could help me figure out a way to boot from the cd i would greatly appreciate it. and i also tried the windows 98 bootdisk but the cd does not function correctly with it so it must boot from the cd.
Thanks.

1) Was it an .iso or just a set of files you put on the CD?

2) What speed is the CD capable of and what speed is the CD reader capable of reading. You may have to write the CD at a slower speed. Older machines that are only 8x sometimes don't read CDs that are 52x but if you slow the speed right down, sometimes they read it. This may be utter rubbish but it works for me.

Hi xwb thanks for replying

It was just a .iso image but I then extracted the image to burn to a cd.

The cd is capable of 52x and the cd reader is capable of 16x.

How would I slow the writing speed down? I am just sending the files straight to the cd drive, then I use the cd writing wizard. Would I need a program to slow it down?

Not sure if you can do it with an iso. On some CD writers, before you burn, there is an option to change the writing speed.

What are you using to burn the CD?

I uaually just extract the iso to the burning drive location. and then i write them to the cd with the cd writing wizard. (the opition in the left of the window under CD Writing Tasks.

I do have a copy of PowerIso so I can try that and see if the speed is adjustable.

Thanks for the help Xwb!

I installed a copy of PowerISO onto my computer and burned it with that. I opened the .iso image that I had luckily saved and burned it again with PowerISO and set the burning speed to 4x. And now it works fine!
Thanks very much for the help Xwb I greatly appreciate it.

No problem: it is always fun finding ways of getting old stuff working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back