Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booting from flash drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accessdabbler

Technical User
Oct 15, 2002
CA
Anyone tried putting their OS on a flash drive and booting from it?

I'd be interested in knowing if boot times are faster and any problems with doing this...

They make flash devices that plug right into the IDE Ports which require no drivers. For a USB Flash drive to be bootable the motherboard would have to support a bootable USB Device in the BIOS.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I've played with an "Emergency Boot Disk" on XP. I don't have a one gig flash to try full OS. Worked OK. There is an HP program (free) that you use to format a Boot Drive. My "P.E. Builder" boot CD is 163 mb, so I guess it would fit on a thumb drive (have to play with that some day). Do a Google search for articles on the subject.
1. The system must be able (in BIOS) to boot from External drive.
2. Special program to make a "bootable" flash drive.
3. Minimum 256 mb flash drive.
Let us know how you come out.

Dunno ...HP?;
but Bart's PE Builder is the way to go, if going that route.

anyone know if "Enable Legacy USB" setting in BIOS is necessary to enable, when setting Boot sequence to "Removable drives" as first boot device?
just haven't yet tried but curious

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

HP just happens to have a free program to make thumb drive bootable (works on any computer).

Cool ...
got a link - HP's site is huge - and besides, those stupid sites don't have easily rememberable names any more (like hp.com) to narrow it in on a google using the site: function when searching.
they have stupid names like -
TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back