Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booting from Broken Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetPoint

MIS
Jan 8, 1999
US
I followed the Microsoft Article #Q119467 "How to Create a Bootable Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partion" to try an boot from my mirrored drive after the mirror was broken.

I have two identical 9.2 GB SCSI Dell Hard Drives. They were completly mirrored and were running for atleast one full week. When booting of the boot disk created with article #Q119467 I either get a ntoskrnl.exe is invalid when using the "multi" option in the boot.ini, or the computer just stops reading the boot disk and hangs on a black screen.

If I try booting of the shadow drive with out the bootable floppy, I get an error saying that the ntldr could not be found.

Does anyone know the proper way to boot from the shadow of a broken mirror? Any suggestions on what to try?

Boot with the first setup disk of WinNT4
Choose 'repair'
Use your repair disk to repair the MBR
Restart your machine, it should work just fine Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

did Repairing the MBR fix your problem as i am experiencing the same type of error??

Are you using software or hardware MIRRORING? In software mirroring all i have done was remove the dead drive, change the jumper on the mirrored / good drive and boot back up.

Don't know if that will work in a hardware mirror though. Never tried. Should I would think.

Drew

It is software mirroring. We tried booting directly from the mirror and the system would hang. We were able to access the drive through a Fault Tolerant boot disk and the system works fine however it will not boot from the hard drive. The boot.ini is pointing to the correct parameters and the partition is set as active. Can you think of anything we could try?

And you changed the SCSI ID on the mirror drive to match the one that is dead?

It is an IDE drive of the same type and size as the original. It actually hangs at the verifying DMI pool and goes no further.

We have replaced many mirrors in the past using that process with no problems whatsoever. This one doesn't work however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back