Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Booting a second hard drive with boot.ini ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADBM

Technical User
Mar 10, 2003
GB
I have two hard drives installed and working, the primary hard drive has three partitions running two operating systems windows 98se (on the first Fat32 partition) and XP pro (on the third NTFS partition).
I would like to be able to boot the second hard drive up from the boot menu/boot loader
The secondary hard drive has two partitions the primary being my old 98se system, which I used when I only had one hard disk. At the moment it just reads as addition partitions.
I know the second hard disk boots because it worked in this configuration with boot-magic, however this requires using their program.
Is it possible to boot into the second drive by adding info to the boot loader rather than using boot-magic and if so what extra lines do I have to add to the boot.ini file.
Here is my current boot.ini config

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=C:[operating systems]
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98 first drive"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Hummm Did that make any sense?

ADBM,

You can't boot 2 copies of win98 from XP's boot loader (officially, anyway - unless someone's found a way round this) - you need a third party boot manager (and generally, the 98 installation on the first disk needs to be hidden to allow the one on the second disk to boot). What was wrong with Bootmagic? (I use - free for personal use. Would recommend it. It has option to put boot menu on floppy (to make sure it all works, and/or if you don't want it updating your harddrive).

PS. If I wanted to try to get XP's boot loader to work, I'd create a bootsect.dos file for the boot sector of the second drive's 98 installation (see here for how - - the bit 'Repairing the Windows XP Boot Loader'. I'd do it with just the second drive in the machine). With that file in root of the second drives win98 installation, I'd add the line:-

X:\="Microsoft Windows 98 second drive"

where X: is second drive 98's drive letter as seen from XP.
(I've never tried playing with this as boot-us makes it unnecesary - so I wouldn't hold my breath on something like this working!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back