Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bootable USB stick 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phi_1.618

Systems Engineer
Dec 9, 2019
CA
I created USB drive following instructions used it to boot off it on a win 10 computer (Oracle workstation 650, to re-image) without issues but I just can't figure out why it refuses to boot on a Win 8.1 device (Oracle workstation 610).

Any Help Appreciated!!!

Try pressing F8 at startup, and see if that will allow you to pick the boot device. There is a possibility that it's just seeing another drive default first, and doesn't recognize that the USB is the drive you want to boot from.

Best Regards,
Scott
MSc ISM, MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"I try to be nice, but sometimes my mouth doesn't cooperate.

Thanks scott24x7 for your response but I press F5 to check and it is my USB drive that it's supposed to boot off from. Pressing enter key just stays there, does not even try to boot off the usb.

Steps followed
Diskpart
clean
select disk x
create partition primary
select partition
format fs=fat32 (tried ntfs too)
copied image files to usb

Tried booting but fails!

Two questions:
1: can you verify that that USB port works on the machine? (i.e. boot it, plug something into that port, see if it works).
2: How big is the USB stick you are using, and how old is the BIOS of the machine? I have seen some machines that cannot recognize a USB stick over a certain size (I think 4gb in some cases). You can howeer, format the USB stick to less than what you need, and then try your steps for booting above again.

See if that helps.

Best Regards,
Scott

Nothing to do with size etc but it is not able to boot off a device running windows 8.1 but the same usb stick is working on a device that's running Win 10. Wonder what files are missing in 8.1 device that are required for it to boot off the usb drive

The OS that is installed has 0 to do with the boot. That is all controlled by the BIOS of the machine (Or UEFI depending on device).
So your connection of Win 8.1 and Win10 is not actual cause and effect. You have to troubleshoot this for what it is. The sooner you stop chasing that path, the easier your life will be. They are different machines with different hardware OR at least with different configurations.

You need to look in the BIOS and see if there is anything related to your boot device and defaults. It sounds like your OS is booting from another device before the USB can be recognized. That's the issue, not the installed OS.

Best Regards,
Scott

One other thing, if you are just trying to install Win10 over a Win8.1 machine, you could boot the machine, install the USB and launch setup from there. It will MOVE the existing Windows install to a directory on the C drive called WINDOWS.OLD and then install a new version over the top of it. You can then (with some effort) remove the old WINDOWS.OLD if you want to get space back on the drive... so it depends on what you're trying to achive.

Best Regards,
Scott

@Scott24x7

I get it, OS that's already on the hard drive has nothing to do with the booting issue, it was just an observation. Yes I will check the BIOS of both devices, one that is booting off the usb and the other that fails. Actually it is UEFI so focus will be on it

Thanks again

Hairlesssupportmonkey is correct.

Use Rufus to make a bootable USB.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

He's already proved the USB stick is bootable on another machine. So using ANOTHER tool to format it as bootable will have no effect. Kind of feels like you're pushing a product here...

Best Regards,
Scott

I am still at loss to understand what is preventing the damn boot off the USB!!!

Phi,
Tell us what you've done so far.
What did you find in the UEFI?

Best Regards,
Scott

Make sure you use the Microsoft bootable tool to make the bootable source.
Make sure the partition scheme is set to MBR instead of GPT while using tools like Rufus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back