Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOOTABLE EXTERNAL USB HARD DRIVE WITH W98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isis1959

Instructor
Sep 2, 2005
US
I have an Apricorn external USB 2.0 20GB hard drive. I want to make it bootable. I want it to boot Windows 98. I just want to know if this is possible. I have a licensed version of Windows 98, and I have older programs that WXP just will not run. In short of creating a dual-boot system, I thought that this may be easier. I thought that going to the command prompt and initiating the old "sys F:" command (where "F" is the drive letter that Windows XP assigned the USB Hard drive) would copy the system files from the Windows 98 bootable floppy that I have to the USB hard drive. I was wrong. I got a message stating that "sys" is not a valid interal or external command (but of course, this is WIndows XP!)

I have searched the web and the closest thing that I came to was on bootdisks.com, but I want to know how to do this (if possible) from start to finish. I need to know step-by-step. I figure that if you can make a USB flash bootable or a USB CD bootable, then why not a USB hard drive?

All answers are very much appreciated!

Have a GREAT day!

P.S. I did go into the BIOS, and tried to change the boot order, but duh that didn't work either.

You should be able to do this - but your machine will need to have the option to boot from the external drive in the bios I think. Some bioses only show that option if the USB device is connected. If yours hasn't been showing something like USB-HDD in its boot order, try booting with drive connected and check the options again. If its there, I suggest you disconnect XP drive, and boot from 98 boot floppy/98 install CD with USB drive connected, and install to the USB drive as normal (I think 98 floppy boot can see USB external drive). When installed, set boot order to external hard drive first and it should work.

Quick way to check. Boot from 98 boot floppy with external drive connected (best to have XP drive disconnected). Run sys x: from A: prompt (will work as sys is 98 command), where x: is drive letter for external drive as sdeen from this boot (ie, make sure you can see it before you try this). This will make the external drive bootable - so you can then try booting it (it will just boot to a dos prompt, but if it does, the install should work ok).

Other options.

If doesn't boot from external drive, boot manager might work (eg, - install in XP with 98 installation on USB drive connected, and see it it recognises it as bootable partition. If it does, create boot menu with it on to a floppy, and hopefully that will boot.

HTH

THANK YOU so much for you quick response. Yes, the BIOS does have the option to boot from a USB device. I didn't think to disconnect the HD. I will try that when I get hom. Thank you again! Have a wonderful day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back